Monday 1 December 2008

A (Suit)Case of Art Imitating Life....

A few days ago the 2006 Sci-Fi film Ultraviolet was on TV. Luckily I didn't catch much of it as I have only ever heard bad things about it and from what I saw those views were right. But the small section I saw brought back some of my own childhood memories. The main character (Milla Jovovich) is in a elevator with a futuristic and thin suitcase. Being the curious character she is, she looks inside it only to find a child and if that wasn't enough said child was floating in what looked like a swimming pool.

Now as I watched this I thought of a story that my mother insists on telling everyone she meets, it's like one of those classic and embarrassing stories your parents tell except this one is 100% true. I must have been about four years old, I had never been on holiday before and my mother and I were about to take a trip to visit relatives in Australia. So about a week or so before we were going to leave she comes into my room and asks me to come into the hallway for a minute, I do and there, in the middle of the hallway is an open and empty suitcase. She looks into it and then looks up at me and says “I have to see if you'll fit”. I look at her confused and then she goes on to explain to me that this is how children travel on plans, in a suitcase. So, as I had never been on holiday before and becauce at this point in my life I believed everything my mother told me, I foolishly got into the suitcase, to “see if I would fit”.
To this day I have regretted that choice but there's a small part of me that's glad she did it because not only did it teach me never to trust what my mother said from then on but also there was something that I could do to my kids one day that I know will make me laugh for a long time.

No comments: